Pornography in Marriage
Cons - Reasons People Believe Pornography Hurts Marriages
- Guilt, mistrust, and anger about pornography can tear your marriage apart.
- Turning to pornography may cause your spouse to withdraw from your relationship because he receives instant gratification from his fantasies.
- When your husband views porn you may feel disrespected, take it personally, and believe that you aren't enough for him. This can create a wedge in your marriage.
- Pornography could make it difficult for your husband to see sex as a loving form of communication. As a result, pornography can decrease sexual satisfaction within your marriage.
Pros -- Reasons People Believe Pornography Does Not Hurt Marriages
- A wife may think, "How can he say he loves me and look at this smut?" Looking at a pretty woman doesn't mean a man doesn't enjoy making love to his wife. It is an entirely different part of their lives that is separate from their marriage.
- Some sexual experts believe a sexual relationship can be enhanced when imagination is allowed to run free.
- If your sexual intimacy with one another is not being replaced by your husband's porn viewing, then it should not be an issue in your marriage.
- If your husband is viewing porn, it can only hurt you if you allow it to. If you aren't insecure and have a good self-image, your husband's porn use won't hurt you.
Talk With One Another About Pornography
Discussing this issue with trust and honesty without accusing one another is the first step in dealing with pornography. Sexual therapists suggest that partners not try to censor one another's thoughts or to force one another to view offensive material.
Whether or not pornography will add to or lessen a couple's sexual enjoyment is up to each couple.