Why We Don't Celebrate Valentine's Day


I told hubby when we first got married that I didn't care for Valentine's Day.

Why wait for a calendar month to bring me roses or a box of candy? Are you telling me you can't think of these small expressions of love on your own or are you just going with the flow of society?

Well, I'm sorry. I'm not a go with the flow kinda girl and I kindly asked him not to bring me a single rose if he had not done so within the months prior.

Well, hubby did it. Valentine's Day morning, he went to the corner gas station and brought back a sorry looking teddy bear holding a rose - a fake rose. Remember now, this was at the corner gas station - something like Circle K. We were living in California, so probably a 7/11. I was so pissed upset that I immediately threw it in the trash.

You're probably thinking I'm an ungrateful witch because I didn't accept my husband's expression of love. Well, the act was pure guilt in my eyes and I didn't appreciate it, so I refused to settle for it. It was important for me to set the tone in our marriage early about this man-made holiday of so-called love.

It wasn't much later that I began receiving purple (my favorite color) and lavender colored roses every Friday. Hubby thought of this himself and I was a happy wife! My heart leaped with ecstatic joy every Friday!! Go hubby, go hubby!!

Of course the roses eventually faded out as the years went by and the children came, but it's a memory I'll always cherish. I think the last time I received one was last year. You can read about that special day at Hubby Headlines.

So, if hubby thinks for one second that he can get away with once a year flowers or a sorry looking teddy bear on 'V' Day, he's got the wrong wife ESPECIALLY since he has shown me better. I married the best, so why settle for less?

All this talk about love has me thinking. Today I think I'll bake hubby some yummy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and hook him up with a special love gift BEFORE the big 'V' Day approaches.

Why don't you join me? You don't have to bake. Write a love letter or a small note of thanks. Prepare a special meal for your spouse or simply express your appreciation for them if you haven't done so in a while. We can all do better in this area, so why wait until you're nudged to show a little love? Show some today!

1 comment:

Tiffany S.Rucker said...

I thought I was reading a passage I wrote.LOL! My husband and i have been married for 14 years and we still have this discussion. Not a fan a V Day either,but sometimes he think that's an easy out.He use to tell people"My wife and I DONT celebrate Valentine day." The real truth is he took my displeasure as a means of NEVER having to be creative with gift giving. So I had to open myself up to recieving on VDay. Is that crazy of what!?