Beware of Emotional Affairs


Hubby doesn't have a Facebook page, but I do. He knows my password and will occasionally get on to search for old schoolmates and friends. I usually suggest he get his own page, but he's completely content using mine. Whatever!

We have separate email addresses and although I use Outlook and it's easily accessed without a password, he has a Hotmail account that I don't have access to nor do I care to.

The Internet is a beautiful tool and does wonders for my business, but if not careful, can be hell on my marriage. The Internet is an open door to relationships that seem to just pop up like unwanted ads. These pop up affairs happen out of nowhere. An occasional exchange of words or the need for a listening ear can lead to sinking sand. Before you know it, you're having an emotional affair with an old friend or maybe even a stranger. Facebook friends can lead to strong emotional bonds, which eventually hurts intimacy in the marriage.

If you haven't discussed Internet use with your spouse, you might want to. I tell hubby all the time that I'm an open book - I have nothing to hide. I do much of my work on the computer after everyone goes to bed because it is quiet. If the trust between hubby and I were shaky, this would never work. There is nothing worse than waking up at two or three o'clock in the morning and finding your spouse on the Internet.

If you feel discussing this isn't necessary in your marriage, that's fine, but if there is a feeling in your gut of some strange or inappropriate Internet usage going on - don't ignore it. I consider an emotional affair infidelity without sex while others may see no harm in it. To each his own, but hubby won't be chatting with Lonely in Las Vegas in this house!


Coming next - Are platonic relationships possible in a marriage?




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess I haven’t read such unique material anywhere else online.Look for Zizis Here